Super Typhoon “KHANUN” Warning
据中央气象台消息，第6号超强台风“卡努” （KHANUN） 于8月1日17时，中心位于浙江省玉环市东偏南方向大约780公里的西北太平洋洋面，中心附近最大风力有16级（52米/秒），中心最低气压为935百帕。预计“卡努”将以每小时15公里至20公里的速度向西北方向移动，强度有所增强，8月2日上午将进入东海，逐渐向浙江中部至福建北部一带沿海靠近。8月1日20时至2日20时，东海南部海域、台湾以东洋面、巴士海峡、浙江近岸海域及沿海将有7级至8级、阵风9级至10级的大风，其中东海东南部部分海域将有9级至12级、阵风13级至14级大风；其中，台风“卡努”中心经过的附近海域风力可达13级至16级、阵风17级及以上。
According to the Central Meteorological Center, at 17:00 on August 1, the 6th Super Typhoon ” KHANUN ” was located in the northwest Pacific Ocean about 780km southeast of Yuhuan City, Zhejiang Province. The maximum wind force near the center was 16 (52 m/s), and the lowest pressure at the center was 935 hPa. It is expected that ” KHANUN ” will move to the northwest at a speed of 15 km to 20 km per hour, with increased intensity, and it will enter the East China Sea on the morning of August 2, and gradually approach the coast areas of central Zhejiang to northern Fujian. From 20:00 on August 1 to 20:00 on August 2, the southern seas of the East China Sea, the ocean surface east of Taiwan, the Bashi Channel, the coastal seas of Zhejiang Province and the coastal areas will have a wind of 7 to 8, with a gust of 9 to 10, among which the southeastern parts of the East China Sea will have a gale of 9 to 12 and a gust of 13 to 14. Winds near the center of the Typhoon ” KHANUN ” can reach 13 to 16, with gusts of 17 and above.
At present, it seems that ” KHANUN ” is expected to turn to the northeast in the southern coast of Zhejiang on the 4th, and it is most likely to stay in the East China Sea and turning towards Japan and South Korea. However, it is not ruled out the possibility of directly rush towards the central coast of Zhejiang to the northern coast of Fujian, or turn back to the East China Sea near the eastern coast of China after landing in Japan and South Korea. No matter ” KHANUN ” landfall or not, it will be close to China’s East China coast, bringing continuous days of rough waves and wind and rain to the East China Sea areas such as Zhejiang, Fujian, and Jiangsu.
ARMs recommends you to prepare in advance, pay attention to the weather warning information, and protect the safety of life and property.
台风应急准备/ Typhoon preparedness
Enterprise preventive measures
- Equipped with sufficient flood control materials, including but not limited to safety helmet, raincoat, long tube rain boots, waterproof flashlight, tarpaulin or plastic film, pumps, sandbag, windproof tape, fast food and drinking water, emergency telephone contact book, walkie talkie, radio, dry battery, and first-aid kit.
- Test emergency equipment. Test all sump pumps. Confirm that the function of standby emergency power supply is normal. If diesel engine is used as emergency power supply, the diesel generator should be tested every month (preferably with load) and ensure sufficient diesel reserves.
- Confirm that the doors and windows of all plants, warehouses and offices are intact and can be closed tightly. Take reinforcement and windproof measures if necessary.
- For the steel structure roof with weak wind resistance, install bolts at the four corners and edge areas of the roof, fasten the daylighting roof panel with steel plate undercut belt, or strengthen the steel structure roof with steel pipes and steel cables tightened through anchor bolts.
- The roof and structure support of some buildings in disrepair for a long time shall be inspected and reinforced, and the outdoor billboards, outdoor suspension and signboards shall be routinely inspected to judge whether they are firm, take reinforcement measures to prevent strong wind from blowing down.
- Repair the weak parts of the house, such as wall holes, windward doors and windows, etc. If the glass doors and windows are not equipped with windproof roller gates, it is recommended to purchase wood splints with a thickness of more than 1cm for reinforcement.
- Reinforce the steel roof plant or canopy without typhoon resistance. Or transfer the valuable or easily water damaged property.
- If it cannot be guaranteed that the building can completely resist the typhoon, and the necessary reinforcement or reconstruction cannot be carried out in time, the internal machinery and equipment, stocks and other important materials should be transferred to safe area before typhoon.
- All scattered goods outside the plant area shall be moved into the house and fixed, empty barrels and materials shall be bundled and stacked in a centralized manner.
- All kinds of buildings or temporary structures located at high places and open places shall be provided with good anchoring and windproof measures.
- 对高耸设备，如起重机、井架、烟囱等，由于它们在大风中易发生倒塌事故，要尽可能采取防风加固措施，如使用防风钢丝缆绳 45°斜拉固定在地锚上。
- For high-rise equipment, such as cranes, derricks, chimneys, etc., as they are prone to collapse in strong wind, take wind proof reinforcement measures as much as possible, such as 45 ° cable-stayed fixing on the ground anchor with windproof steel wire rope.
- The management units of underground facilities such as subway, underground shopping mall, underground warehouse, underpass, basement, and underground power distribution room shall take necessary anti-backflow measures, for example, enclosure, blocking and drainage, especially for those in historical waterlogging areas.
- Factories and enterprises near rivers and lakes should always pay attention to the water level and upstream flood discharge dynamics, whether the built embankment facilities meet the flood control requirements, be alert to the risk of dam failure, and be ready for the transfer of property and personnel at any time.
- Clean the sundries on the roof and roof drainage channel, and waterproof treatment shall be done for reinforced concrete roof; Check and remove sundries in drainage pipes and ditches to ensure smooth drainage. Install a check valve on the pipeline leading to the urban drainage system or add a gate to the outlet of the river to prevent backflow and close it before the flood season.
- Temporary waterproof baffle shall be set on the exterior wall door. Temporary waterproof baffle slots shall be set on both sides of the door frame, and the temporary waterproof baffle shall be installed before the flood. Sandbags are piled behind the waterproof baffles or install temporary waterproof baffles on both sides of the outer wall and filled between the two groups of baffles to further control the risk of flood flowing into the factory buildings.
- The production materials and stocks that are vulnerable to water damage shall be stored by padding (according to the historical highest water level) or shelving and covered with tarpaulin or plastic film; In particular, important materials (important data, precision instruments, equipment, high-value raw materials, goods, etc.) shall be placed above the predicted flood water level, shall not be stored in the basement or low-lying place.
- 保持存货、设备距离外墙、窗户 0.5m 以上。
- Keep stocks and equipment more than 0.5m away from external walls and windows.
Prevention and preparation measures
- Take reinforcement measures for construction equipment and facilities, such as tower crane, construction elevator, derrick, and scaffold on the construction site. The hook of the tower crane is at the highest position and the boom is in free rotation.
- Check whether the foundation of the temporary house has settlement or cracking, whether the drainage around the foundation is smooth, whether the roof needs steel pipe pressure reinforcement, and pull steel wind rope and ground anchor if necessary.
- Ensuring the safety of workers’ dormitories. For dormitories that may blow down or overturn the top of the shed, workers shall be arranged to other safe and reliable places in advance.
- The formworks, steel pipes, tools, etc. in the construction site shall be stacked in categories and centralized, and binding and fixing measures shall be taken to prevent falling and dumping in the typhoon. Engineering materials, machines, tools, and equipment shall be placed above the flood level with a return period of 20 years and transferred in real time before the rainstorm and flood.
- Check whether the temporary bridges, temporary culverts and temporary roads have the flood carrying capacity when the flood comes, whether the foundation is stable, and whether the particle size of the filled slope has the anti-scouring capacity, and timely reinforcement.
- Check whether the fence, wall and foundation are firm, whether the wall is cracked, reinforce or improve support, and set warning signs and isolation strip if necessary.
- Check whether the drainage measures of the scaffold foundation, especially the soil foundation are perfect to prevent immersion and sinking. If necessary, solidify the foundation. Pay attention to whether the wall connecting rod is effectively tied, whether the cross bracing and throwing bracing are overlapped, whether the vertical rod is suspended, whether the verticality deviation is too large, and make rectification.
- For tower cranes, elevators, and other high-rise single structures, check whether the bolts of wall embedded parts are complete and loose. Check whether the pin shaft and split pin of each part are fixed firmly and reliably, and whether the junction itself can resist typhoon. Take emergency reinforcement or self-lowering of tower height before typhoon.
- For areas with dense tower cranes and multiple operations, as well as tower cranes adjacent to high-voltage lines and buildings, check whether the safe distance is reached, otherwise they must be removed immediately.
- Check whether the protection, drainage and interception work of subgrade and foundation pit slope have normal interception and drainage functions. Take emergency dredging and slope reinforcement before rainstorm, or cover with colored strip cloth, or build water retaining ridge to prevent scouring.
- Check whether the transformer, distribution box and other electrical facilities are protected against rain and smash, put them in a safe position, and bind and reinforce the loose lines.
- Check the adequacy of the drainage and interception measures in the construction site close to the third party’s farmland, orchard, fishpond, etc., and consider constructing a water retaining ridge to prevent rainwater from washing the engineering earthwork into the third-party’s property.
Personal typhoon and rain protection preparation
- Outdoor activities shall be far away from dangerous areas such as trees, billboards, iron towers and fences; Stay away from overhead lines, towers, transformers and other high-voltage power equipment, do not touch the wires blown down by the wind, and avoid staying outside; Keep away from low-lying waterlogging prone areas, dangerous buildings, slopes, simple sheds, retaining walls, rivers, reservoirs and other areas that may be dangerous; If necessary, you can choose the nearest temporary shelter or go to a nearby safe area.
- Indoor personnel shall check the windproof safety, such as strengthening doors and windows, pasting adhesive tape on the window, do not stand near indoor windows to prevent glass from breaking and hurting people, and transfer flowerpots and sundries placed on windowsills and balconies to a safe area to avoid falling and hurting people due to typhoon.
- When go out during the typhoon, try to grasp the wall corners, fences, columns, or other stable fixtures. When walking in the streets with dense buildings, pay attention to falling objects or flying objects to avoid injury; When you come to the corner, you should stop and observe before you go. If you walk rashly, you may be hurt by flying objects; When passing through a narrow bridge or high place, it is best to crawl down, otherwise it is easy to be blown down or fall into the water; If there is a rainstorm during the typhoon, pay attention to the water depth on the road.
- Driving vehicles should turn on their warning lights and take shelter in the nearest safe place to avoid parking in low-lying and waterlogging prone areas. In case of serious flooding and other dangerous situations, they should immediately abandon the car and escape.
Enterprise preventive measures
- Equipped with sufficient flood control materials, including but not limited to safety helmet, raincoats, long rain boots, waterproof flashlights, tarpaulins or plastic films, pumps, sandbags, sandbags, windproof tape, fast food and drinking water, emergency telephone contact book, walkie-talkie, radio, dry battery, first aid kit.
- Make necessary anti-backflushing measures to management units of underground facilities such as subways, underground shopping malls, underground warehouses, underground passages, basements, underground power distribution rooms, etc, especially for those in historical flooding areas being enclosed, blocked and drained.
- Pay attention to water level and upstream flood discharge dynamics of factories and enterprises near rivers and lakes embankments, whether embankment facilities meet flood control requirements. Prepare for the transfer of property and personnel at any time.
- Clear the sundries on the roof terrace and patio in time, keep the rainwater pipe and sewage pipe unblocked, and reinforce the concrete roof with waterproof treatment.
- 对于房屋建筑，要及时修补受损部位，关闭门窗，防止雨水从屋顶或受损的墙面渗漏， 淋湿存货。
- For building construction, timely repair damaged parts, close doors and Windows, prevent rain from leaking from the roof or damaged walls, wet inventory.
- To prevent backfilling, install check valves in the pipes leading to the urban drainage system or add gates at the outlet of the river and take care to close them before the flood season. If there are ventilation holes in low-lying areas, they need to be temporarily blocked.
- • 在外墙门上设临时防水挡板，备用防水砂袋。在门框两边设临时防水挡板卡槽，在洪水到来之前安装好临时防水挡板。在防水挡板后方堆沙袋，或在外墙内外两侧都安装临时防水挡板并在两组挡板间填土，可进一步控制洪水流入厂房的风险。
- Set a temporary waterproof baffle on the outer wall door and reserve a waterproof sand bag. Temporary waterproof baffle slots are provided on both sides of the door frame, and the temporary waterproof baffle is installed before the flood comes. Sandbags are placed behind the waterproof baffle, or temporary waterproof baffles are installed on both the inner and outer sides of the external wall and earth is filled between the two sets of baffles to further control the risk of flooding into the plant.
- • 地势低洼区域内的厂区生产线设备，暴雨来临之前或之中应断电停产，具备转移条件的应当即时转移至安全位置，对易受水损的生产物资、存货采取垫高（按历史最高水位线）或架高存放， 并使用油布或塑料薄膜覆盖；特别是将重要物资（重要资料、 精密仪器、设备、高价值原料、货物等）置于预测的洪水水位线之上，不可存放在地下室或低洼部位；保持存货、设备距离外墙、窗户 0.5m 以上。
- The production line equipment in the low-lying area should be cut off before or during the rainstorm. If the transfer conditions are met, they should be immediately transferred to a safe location, and the production materials and inventory that are vulnerable to water damage should be raised (according to the highest historical water level line) or store it at an elevated height and cover it with tarpaulin or plastic film; in particular, place important materials (important materials, precision instruments, equipment, high-value raw materials, goods, etc.) above the predicted flood water level, and do not store them in the basement or low-lying parts; keep inventory, equipment more than 0.5m away from external walls and windows.
- Disassemble and store the key components of the equipment that cannot be raised or transferred.
- Property stacked in the open air or stacked under the simple shed should be immediately transferred to a safe indoor location and stacked up high.
- Test emergency equipment. Test all sewage pumps in the sump.
- Confirm that the standby emergency power supply is functioning properly. If a diesel engine is used as the emergency power supply, the diesel generator set should be tested monthly (it should be loaded) and the diesel reserves are sufficient.
- Seal and place the chemical raw materials to avoid the risk of leakage.
Prevention and preparation measures
- Check whether the interception and drainage ditches are well-built to ensure their smoothness and eliminate the risk of silt accumulation on the construction site.
- Check whether the transformer, distribution box and other electrical facilities have been protected against rain and other protective measures, and bind and strengthen the loose lines to avoid leakage and electric shock accidents.
- Check whether the subgrade slope and foundation pit slope project under construction and the protection project are being constructed in time. If there is no construction, cover it with colored strips, and at the same time build a water retaining ridge to prevent scouring.
- The machinery, equipment and materials placed next to the river are transferred before the rainstorm to prevent the flood from being washed away.
- Adjacent to the temporary construction site or stockyard installed near the mountain slope, during the heavy rain, attention should be paid to the stability of the slope body at any time to prevent the landslide from submerging.
- Check whether the temporary wading bridges, temporary culverts and temporary roads have the ability to pass through when the flood comes, whether the diameter of the filled slope fabric has anti-scouring ability, and timely reinforcement and protection.
- Check whether the foundation of the enclosure and the wall is firm, whether the wall is cracked, reinforce or add support, and set warning signs and isolation strip if necessary.
- Check whether the drainage measures of the scaffolding foundation, especially the soil foundation, are perfect to prevent immersion and sinking. If necessary, solidify the foundation, pay attention to whether the connecting rod of the wall is effective, whether the scissors support and throwing support are overlapped, and whether the upright is suspended or whether the vertical deviation is too large or not.
- Check the adequacy of the drainage and interception measures in the construction site close to the third party’s farmland, orchard, fish pond, etc., and consider constructing a water retaining ridge to prevent rainwater from washing the engineering earth into the third party’s property.
Personal typhoon and rain protection preparation
- Outdoor activities should be far away from low-lying water-logged areas, dangerous houses, slopes, simple work sheds, retaining walls, river channels, reservoirs and other potentially dangerous areas; away from high-voltage power equipment such as overhead lines, poles and transformers, and avoid crossing flooded areas and contacting with bare wires causing electric shock.
- Indoor personnel should pay attention to close and fasten doors and windows to prevent rainwater from entering the room.
- Driving vehicles should turn on the warning lights and take a short stroll to a safe place to avoid parking in low-risk areas that are prone to waterlogging and other dangerous areas. In case of severe flooding and other dangerous situations, they should immediately abandon the car and escape.
- Check whether the doors and windows, especially the sunroof, of the vehicle are tightly closed to prevent water leakage and damage to the vehicle.
- Vehicles should not be parked under buildings, large trees, outdoor billboards, or other easily falling objects.
- Vehicles should not be parked in low-lying areas, including underground garages that are prone to water ingress.
- 能见度小于 100 米时，开启近光灯、示廓灯、前后位灯和危险报警闪光灯，与同车道前车保持 50 米以上的距离；能见度小于 50 米时，开启近光灯、示廓灯、前后位灯和危险报警闪光灯，并马上找安全处掩蔽，不得强行驾驶。
- When the visibility is less than 100 meters, turn on the Low beam lamps, clearance lamps, front and rear position lamps and Emergency vehicle lighting, and keep a distance of more than 50 meters from the vehicle in front of the same lane; When the visibility is less than 50 meters, turn on the Low beam lights, position lights, front and rear position lights, and Emergency vehicle lighting, and immediately find a safe place to hide. Do not drive.
- Minimize driving during heavy rains, especially at night and when a typhoon is passing through.
Crop disaster prevention
- Drainage and seedling rescue. Organize personnel to drain water in a timely manner and lower the water level. Dredge ditches and open drainage ditches in the fields to ensure smooth drainage and irrigation.
- Wash seedlings and straighten them. After rushing to drain accumulated water, immediately rinse with clean water to remove dirt.
- Increase the application of quick acting fertilizers. The seriously flooded fields can be sprayed with leaf fertilizers such as Monopotassium phosphate and thin urea fertilizer solution to promote the recovery of crops as soon as possible.
- Scientific prevention and control of diseases and pests. After rainstorm and flood, it is easy to induce the epidemic and spread of diseases and pests, so it is necessary to pay close attention to the development of diseases and pests.
- Adapt to local conditions and change the planting in time. Due to flooding, washout caused by the failure of the field, choose early and middle ripe varieties in time to replenish sowing, replanting.
- Good management of waterlogged fields. For the flood-prone plots, the field water must be removed immediately to prevent the field water and poor soil ventilation.
- Perform post-lodging management. For the collapse caused by flood disaster should be righted in time.
- 加强雨后补肥防病。对淹水时间不超过1天的田块，受涝后应注意补施氮肥，促进农作物恢复生长。要加强灾后病虫防控，重点注意预防病虫害。Strengthen fertilizer after rain to prevent disease. For fields flooded for less than 1 day, attention should be paid to applying nitrogen fertilizer after flooding to promote crop recovery. It is necessary to strengthen the prevention and control of diseases and insects after disasters, focusing on the prevention of diseases and insect pests.
- Strengthen post rain pollination management. When encountering prolonged rainy periods, especially continuous rainy weather, if conditions permit, it is advisable to seize the opportunity to have pollen after clear weather and carry out artificial pollination in a timely manner.
Asian Risks Management Services Limited (ARMS) is an international consultant advising clients on insurable risks. Independent from any insurance providers, ARMS acts to the best of our clients.